1. We utilize the 3 on 3 overtime format as our full-time format; 3 skaters plus a goalie for each team (Overtime all the time, baby!)
2. Games consist of two 8-minute halves with a running clock (The clock stops only for penalties and injuries)
3. 6 Teams in our league, each with 6 skaters plus 1 goalie (These guys are fit and fast as H-E double hockey sticks)
4. Each tour-stop will have 6 games: 3 games in the opening round, then 2 semi-finals, then a championship game (It all takes place in 3 hours or less)
5. No powerplays, instead we go straight to a penalty shot and the coaches get to pick the shooter (Someday, you’ll pick the shooter via the 3ICE app)
6. No overtime, instead we go to one-round shootouts until a winner is determined (We know, it’s awesome)
7. Goalies can play the puck anywhere on the ice (Anything can happen)
8. If the puck comes off the netting above the glass and back into play, we keep playing (You’re welcome)
9. Intentional Icing is a penalty and results in a penalty shot. In other words, an attempt at a real hockey play that misses is fine, but no taking the heat out of a hot kitchen. And if a player shoots on an empty net from behind center ice and misses, that too is a penalty shot.
10. Like basketball’s “Half Court Rule”, if the offensive team brings the puck back out of the offensive zone and across the center ice line without interference from the other team, that is a turnover. We want action in 3ICE, not time-wasting.
11. That big, blue 3-point arc-looking area around the goal is “The Clear Zone.” Once a goalie makes a clear save, play is paused and the goalie resets play. But wait...the opponent must be outside of The Zone as he does so. No hovering or hacking at the goalies or sneaking up behind him while he restarts. Not cool!
Oh, and no coaches challenges or instant replay for offsides, we hate that rule.